Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 16:13:07 +0000
From: kc atgb <kisscoolandthegangbang@...mail.fr>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: gnome keyring password length limit

Le , magnum a écrit :
> On 2019-01-11 17:20, kc atgb wrote:
>> With the current version I can check for passwords longer than 15
>> characters. The perfs are also better.
>>
>> But no luck with my keyring for the moment. I thought that my
>> generated
>> list would be enough. :/ I have to train my memory.
>>
>> And I also have to fix a point with encoding. With release files I had
>> something working and that conf does not work anymore :/
>
> Try to explain the encoding problem and I'll try to guide you through
> it!
>
> magnum

Hello,

With the release I used initially, I had a lot of trouble to make john
generate the password with the correct encoding, and then display them
correctly, and to give the password file correctly encoded to john even
with forcing things in john.conf.

I succeeded after I converted john.conf from utf8 to iso8859 format.

With the current files from git, I have the same troubles and converting
from utf8 to iso8859 is not working because of a special char in subsets
section for number 3.

$ file john.conf
john.conf: UTF-8 Unicode text
$ iconv -f utf8 -t iso8859-1 -o john.conf_iso8859 john.conf
iconv: illegal input sequence at position 24162
$ head -c 24330 john.conf | tail -n 1
3 =
0123456789άέήίαβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρςστυφχψωϊϋόύώΆΈΉΊΌΎΏΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩΪΫ
$ head -c 24165 john.conf | tail -n 1
3 = 0123456789ά
$ head -c 24162 john.conf | tail -n 1
3 = 0123456789

I had not the time to check after this. What I do is to create my
password file with the release files and use them with the git john.

Any other idea is welcome :)

---