Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 20:24:41 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RPP silent "fail" in John proper

Solar,

I found another problem, this time in the rules pre-processor. In short,
a stray \p before a range (with no preceding range) silently make it
only expand to first element. One could argue it's a bug in the rule
given, but anyway we should at least warn about it.

Showing it with Jumbo here, but I verified same behavior in john proper:

Let's say we have this rule, with parallel ranges:

$ echo magnum | ../run/john -pipe -stdout -ru::'-[:c] \p[uc] $\p[12]'
MAGNUM1
Magnum2
2p 0:00:00:00 0.00% 33.33p/s Magnum2

...then we decide to drop the case flipping, *but we forget the last \p
in there*:

$ $ echo magnum | ../run/john -pipe -stdout -ru::'$\p[12]'
magnum1
1p 0:00:00:00 0.00% 20.00p/s magnum1

Obviously this output was expected:

$ echo magnum | ../run/john -pipe -stdout -ru::'$[12]'
magnum1
magnum2
2p 0:00:00:00 0.00% 50.00p/s magnum2

I saw this in someone else's rule (much more complicated) and I think it
could be a common enough problem to catch and warn for - or simply treat
\p as a no-op in that case.

magnum