Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 07:51:19 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Just tell me the password's crackable, not what it is?

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 7:45 AM Knight, Tom <tom.knight@....ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've looked through the FAQ, wiki and had a small search of this list and
> not seen the answer, so I need to ask. Please be patient if this sounds
> obvious or daft.
>
> I'd like to audit the passwords held on my system, but I don't want to
> know what the passwords are.
>
> Someone suggested JtR had an option to show how long it took to crack each
> password but without having the ability to store the plaintext. Just say
> "Yes, I did it, it was easy" or similar. With this information I could
> inform users there's a problem, and (basically) cover my back. There's lots
> of trust here (like I can do all the things you'd expect a sysadmin to be
> capable of), but as soon as I actually know a password I start feeling
> uncomfortable, and given people *still* reuse them I'd expect them to too...
>
> Feel free to point me to the fine manual if I've missed that bit!

It's not easy to find, but Securemode sounds closest to your needs found in
John.conf, turn it to Y.
# If set to Y, do not output, log or store cracked passwords verbatim.
# This implies a different default .pot database file "secure.pot" instead
# of "john.pot" but it can still be overridden using --pot=FILE.
# This also overrides other options, e.g. LogCrackedPasswords.
SecureMode = N
-rich