Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 11:08:48 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL CL_INVALID_DEVICE (-33) error in
 opencl_common.c:452

On 2018-11-06 07:35, Powen Cheng wrote:
> Hello, I'm having problem running john using multiple GPU devices on the
> same system. I have no idea what this error meant.
>
> OpenCL CL_INVALID_DEVICE (-33) error in opencl_common.c:452 - Error
> querying PLATFORM_NAME
>
> As you can see below, I have 2 GPUs on this system. so --devices=0,1
> --fork=2 is correct, I am assume.

That looks correct to me.

> tezos@...os-Desktop:~/JohnTheRipper/run$ ./john --devices=0,1 --fork=2
> --format=tezos-opencl --session=tezos tezos

You should be specifying a cracking mode as well, or you'll end up
running batch mode including "single" mode which is sub-optimal for GPU.

> Using default input encoding: UTF-8
> Loaded 1 password hash (tezos-opencl, Tezos Key [PBKDF2-SHA512 OpenCL])
> Cost 1 (iteration count) is 2048 for all loaded hashes
> Will run 4 OpenMP threads per process (8 total across 2 processes)
> Node numbers 1-2 of 2 (fork)
> OpenCL CL_INVALID_DEVICE (-33) error in opencl_common.c:452 - Error
> querying PLATFORM_NAME
> Device 0@...os-Desktop: GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
> Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status

Does it always fail like this? I have seen some strange race condition
problem with later nvidia drivers and I've been testing a work-around
hack for some time. Perhaps it's time to merge that to the repo.

You could always try running two sessions (in two different terminal
sessions) without fork, like this:

   ./john -dev=0 -node=1/2 -form=tezos-opencl -ses=tezos1 tezos -inc

   ./john -dev=1 -node=2/2 -form=tezos-opencl -ses=tezos2 tezos -inc

magnum