Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 08:21:07 -0700
From: Eric Oyen <eric.oyen@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Beat JTR to the punch! :)

Well everyone, I beat JTR to the punch (by several million years I might add). That password I was so hot and heavy to recover, I did, from inside my head. It was 13 characters. In fact, this was the user account password on my Mac: H4mr4d!0NLZZ7

Btw, I remembered it about 20 minutes ago and typed it in via the login screen on my MacBook Lion OS X system. The user account popped right up like I had never left.

SO, this proves a couple of things:
1. I need a good password cracking machine to do this on (A Mac mini is nowhere near sufficient enough)
2. I still have a good memory, even if it takes me 3 or more months to recover 1 item of data buried in the mass of near total recall that I have.

Anyway, I will continue to use JTR for security testing of any new passwords I might generate for various websites just to see how easy (or hard) it would be to break them.

Anyway, the interesting bit was that even the other program (DaveGrohl) couldn’t break this, even when given most of the letters, numbers and symbols provided in a custom character list. SMH.

So, what do you guys think of the level of complexity of the given password? And no, the only place it got used was on my Mac and nowhere else.

-Eric