Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 14:30:41 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Long Passwords

On Mon, Sep 03, 2018 at 12:06:54PM +0000, NeonFlash wrote:
> Quick question regarding the password length restrictions in JtR. Is it possible to alter them? If so, do I need to modify some config file or source code and then recompile it?

Generally no, this isn't something you can reasonably do as an end-user.
Those limitations usually exist for good technical reasons, meaning that
processing longer candidate passwords would require different code
(typically more complex and/or slower), which hasn't been written.

There are exceptions to that, though.  For some formats, recompiling
without SIMD support ("./configure --disable-simd") should result in
higher maximum supported password lengths (but lower speeds).

You can give this a try and see whether that build works for you at all
(we rarely test this), and whether the reported maximum lengths for the
formats you're interested in increase or not.

If you do try this, please let john-users know of your results.  Thanks.

Alexander