Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 18:57:02 -0500
From: Jerry Kemp <cryptosys@...x.us>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to use multiple lists at the same time?

I'm hesitant to say as I am more embarrassed by what I have done than anything, but here it is in a nutshell.

When I first started playing with word list, I literally went out on the Internet, and grabbed every word list I could find.  Along
with that, every time there was a big security leak, I went up, read and learned all I could, and (of course) grabbed any word list
I could associated with that particular leak.

I took all those lists, cat'ed them together, then "sort"-ed, then ran thru "uniq" to eliminate any duplicates.   At the time, I
felt I was clever, but obviously, I ended up with a giant file too big to realistically edit and maintain.   So I broke it down into
multiple parts, i.e.

wordlist.a
wordlist.b
wordlist.c
wordlist.d

aside from a "for" loop to loop thru each file, the basics of the script are:

#!/bin/ksh

tput clear
echo "starting wordlist.a"
john --wordlist.a --fork=62 ./password.file
echo "complete with wordlist.a"
echo " "
echo "starting wordlist.b"
AND SO ON.

Again, I would just stick all the word list files in a "for" loop.  No ampersand here ( & ), I would just typically run it in a
serial fashion, where once one word list finished, the next one would start.

I have this running on a 64 proc/thread Sun/Oracle T4-1

t4 /root 568 # psrinfo | wc -l
      64
t4 /root 569 #

And I will typically have john running when I am not using it for something else and use 62 for john and leave a couple alone for
when I need to do something small and don't want to disturb john.

Even with duplicate wordlist entries, probably the smart move for me would have just been to leave all my wordlist stock and alone.

Hope this helps,

Jerry