Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 11:49:00 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: partially forgotten kdbx pw / help recover partially known pw

On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 12:41:32PM +0300, Alexander wrote:
> I installed the version 1.8.0 (Linux Mint) using the command 'make clean generic'.

You need a jumbo version of JtR, preferably the latest bleeding-jumbo
from GitHub:

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/archive/bleeding-jumbo.tar.gz

> ./john -w=top1000x2.txt --mask='ABC12?w' hashfile
>
> and similar examples where 'ABC12?w' ends with 'w'.
>
> Does this 'w' stands for word lists (to tell the JtR that the next part of pw comes from words list)

Yes.  It can also refer to whatever "word" comes from whatever other
cracking mode (like PRINCE or incremental) you use along with mask.

Alexander