Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 22:12:21 -0700
From: Eric Oyen <eric.oyen@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: failed to break my own created password

Hello folks,

Well, I tried with both Davegrohl and JTR using both a wordlist approach as well as a mask approach. At this point, I consider the password I created (by fat fingering it) to be qualified unbreakable without considerably greater resources than I have here.

To that end, I am now considering a cluster approach using NFS as the primary filesystem and having a number of nodes all running JTR and all taking and putting data into the right files (this way, the load can be split).

Kali Linux has some instructions on this that might prove useful. At this point, what I have here is just not up to the task.

So, thoughts on JTR..

Nice program, has lots of features, but the man page is woefully under documented/incomplete.  I am definitely going to continue running the community contributed version as it has support that even the jumbo version in MacPorts doesn't have. Anyway, I will see if I can acquire a number of older machines (something in the range of 8 to 10 years old as they are dirt cheap) and setup a home built beoWolf cluster.

Frankly, I wish I had access to the datacenter for Ebay here in Arizona. a 20,000 node BeoWolf cluster would be just the ticket. :)

anyway, that's the temp end of this project for now. I will return to it when I get a little more time. now I have to get into training for some upcoming bike races (I am trying to get on the USA Paralympic team).

-eric

PGP fingerprint: 6DFB D6B0 3771 90F1 373E 570C 7EA2 1FF3 6B68 0386