Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 11:32:27 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Mounir Belhniyene <mobelhniyene@...il.com>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenMP

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 09:40:07AM +0000, Mounir Belhniyene wrote:
> I want to enable OpenMP at jtr-1.8.0-jumbo-1 , I've tried a lot of
> tutorials and documentaion isn't enogh. I still get OpenMP diabled during
> cracking password

OpenMP is normally enabled automatically during build of jumbo, if
supported by your compiler (and it almost certainly is), except for a
subset of "formats" where it's either not supported by JtR or is so
inefficient that we choose to disable it by default.

Can you show an example (copy & paste from your terminal) of OpenMP
staying disabled during cracking?  Starting with the "john" command line
and ending with a status line printed on a keypress - and including
everything inbetween.

If your actual goal is to crack your passwords faster, rather than to
enable OpenMP just for the sake of it, you'd want to try "--fork=N"
instead (where N should be the number of logical CPUs in your system).
It generally provides greater efficiency.

This isn't your issue, but FYI we currently strongly recommend
bleeding-jumbo off GitHub over the 1.8.0-jumbo-1 release, which is
getting rather old (we ought to make a new numbered release soon).

Also, you don't appear to be subscribed to john-users.  You might want
to subscribe so that you don't miss possible replies by others.

Alexander