Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 19:09:17 +0100
From: "Jeroen" <spam@...lab.nl>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: OpenMPI and .rec files?

magnum wrote:
<SNAP>
>If you find out anything useful for others, please report here!

First finding that narrows things down:

- On the cluster, jobs seem to work fine with normal tasks (#.rec files = #jobs). It caps at 100 when --wordlist=<dict> is used.
- I cannot reproduce this on the very basic lab setup (#.rec files = #jobs). However, the output is slightly different when a wordlist is used:

---
bofh@...ncher:/opt/JohnTheRipper/run$ rm *rec; mpirun -np 120 ./john --format=raw-md4 /tmp/hashes
<SNAP>
Loaded 1200 password hashes with no different salts (Raw-MD4 [MD4 128/128 SSE4.1 4x3])
Using default input encoding: UTF-8
Node numbers 1-120 of 120 (MPI)
Send SIGUSR1 to mpirun for status
---

If the job uses a wordlist, "Send SIGUSR1 to mpirun for status" is missing.

>Oh BTW it's very strange you can resume such session with (seemingly) no
>problems. If you didn't already, you should look very closely in the log
>file and see if there are any clues there. Perhaps there is some error seen
>there that we should handle (or report) better.

On the console everything looks normal:

Remaining X password hashes with X different salts
Cost 1 (iteration count) is X for all loaded hashes
MPI in use, disabling OMP (see doc/README.mpi)
Node numbers 1-640 of 640 (MPI)
<session status messages>

However, this message pops up in john.log for a number of workers: "Terminating on error, recovery.c:165".

Cheers,

Jeroen