Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 14:43:56 +0200
From: Albert Veli <albert.veli@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Legal problems

It is 100% legal to try to crack your own passwords to test their
strength. For any other use you have to have permission from the
organization that you are testing. So the legality depends on how you
use it. Just like a wrench. It is illegal to hit someone on the head
with it but it is (in most cases) legal to use it for nuts and screws.