Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 19:17:38 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR job with Tesla K80 Nvidia cards not showing status of all devices

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 11:06:58PM +0200, Luis Rocha wrote:
> Trying last JtR version from git with couple of Tesla K80 Nvidia cards and
> for some unknown reason to me, when I try to check the status of the job ,
> it only prints the status of 1 device where I think it should print the
> status of all the devices, right? Is this a cosmetic issue or something
> else?

In your case, this is a bug - as far as I can tell from what you posted,
JtR was only using 1 GPU, and I've just reproduced what looks like the
same problem.  (To better debug issues like this in the future, please
include the output of "nvidia-smi" or "aticonfig --adapter=all --odgc
--odgt", as appropriate, obtained while JtR is running.)

Please try this:

git revert -n 0168a45a145d3c3ff714dd9f6bf73128f5408bac

Does it help?  (It did here, and I think magnum is to investigate what's
wrong with that commit and fix it.  Thanks.)

> $ ./john /tmp/hash --format=salted-sha1-opencl --fork=2
> Using default input encoding: UTF-8
> Loaded 1 password hash (salted-sha1-opencl [SHA1 OpenCL])

FWIW, there's no point in using a GPU for a run like this, except for
testing.  You'll achieve better speeds on CPU.  To use a GPU on a fast
hash efficiently, you need "--mask" (for formats where we do support
on-GPU mask, including this one), perhaps along with another cracking
mode (if so, you may refer to the other mode's input as "?w" in the
mask) or/and many salts (for hash types that are fast yet salted, like
this one).  I guess you knew that, but thought I'd point it out anyway.

> 1 0g 0:00:01:42  3/3 0g/s 38119Kp/s 38119Kc/s 38119KC/s rummbi7..rtbasaw

These speeds are on par with one CPU core (not even one CPU).

Alexander