Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:20:04 +0200
From: Marc <marc@...x.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: partially known password

Hi,

I am new to john. I am trying to crack a password where I know most of it.

So for example I know what characters are in it and I know the length is
between 8 and 16 chars.

So in john.conf I added:

[Incremental:Custom]
File = ~/.john/custom.chr
MinLen = 8
MaxLen = 16

I generated the custom.chr from a john.pot file in which I put some
variation of what the password is like with the characters it contains.
So for example:

:s0m3teo@1-!
:s0m3teo@!
:s0m3teo@1!

So to generate the custom.chr from this I did:

john --make-charset=custom.chr john.pot

Now I know the password starts with exactly: s0m3

So I found out I can define custom rules. Unfortunately I didn't find
what the custom rule should be like to say that password starts with: s0m3

[List.Rules:Example]
s0m3...

Could someone help me define the rule to say it should starts with s0m3
and for the rest use the characters from the custom.chr. Another thing
I'd like to have in the rule is that I know some of the characters are
only in the password once so I'd like to define that as well.

For example there is only s, 0, m, @, 1, !, - once so it shouldn't try
combinations where those characters would appear multiple times.

Finally, one last thing I couldn't find out is how can I see the
passwords that are being tried so I can see that it follows the rules
the way I expect.

Thank you for your help.

Marc