Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:17:35 -0700
From: B B <dustythepath@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Any differences between Openwall.com versions and
 Github: dmg2john?

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 12:03 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 08:01:27AM -0700, B B wrote:
>> So it occurs to me after getting my hash using the jumbo version on Openwall.com <http://openwall.com/>
>
> "the jumbo version on Openwall.com" doesn't mean anything specific to
> me.  What jumbo version are you referring to?

A correction: I was referring to JohnTheRipper-bleeding-jumbo

>> to get my dmg hash that the hash may be invalid with the latest changes to the format in Mac OS X Sierra.
>
> I think not.  I've just checked, and there haven't been significant
> changes to dmg2john.c since 2014 (which is when 1.8.0-jumbo-1, which you
> might have used, was released).

I went ahead and compared my hash from the jumbo version to the bleeding-jumbo version.
They were the same, so as you stated dmg2john is up to date in both.

>> My question is: Is the version on the website updated for the Sierra dmg format?
>
> I think it doesn't need to be, or if it does then the latest hasn't been
> updated either.
>

> Regardless, ideally you'd generate a test .dmg file on Sierra and make
> sure you're able to crack its known password.

I tested a newly created sparsebundle hash and the job completed successfully.

Thanks again