Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 19:12:46 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Max characters for password candidates (NTLM) and others

On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 04:39:33PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> Am 05.05.2017 um 15:08 schrieb Solar Designer:
> > make distclean
> > ./configure --disable-native-tests CFLAGS='-O2 -mno-sse2 -mno-mmx -U__SSE__'
>
> I just tried this on an AVX system.
>
> The (default) AVX (non-GPU) build has 372 formats, the non-SIMD build
> has 367 formats.
[...]
> These are the 68 formats where the max. password length in bytes differs:

I'm sure more of them should have their max length increased in non-SIMD
builds - in fact, you've already submitted a fix for one of those:

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/pull/2530

In particular, perhaps Rob's mentioned Kerberos TGS format should be one
of those, too?

In fact, even if the reported max lengths are not increased, perhaps
those 81's (3*27) are for real (for ASCII chars) in that rebuild (unlike
they are in SIMD builds, where the actual limit is 27 to 81 input bytes
depending on what Unicode chars those are, as magnum explained)?

Thanks,

Alexander