Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 21:16:01 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john --restore with periodically added hashes

On 2017-02-05 14:56, redfast00 _ wrote:
> Here's the situation: I have 5 salted hashes. I do some cracking by running
> john --format=netntlm hashes.john, crack 2 of them and after a while stop
> the process by pressing "q". I then got some new hashes and added them to
> hashes.john. When I ran john --restore, it didn't do the guesses it already
> made before, even for the new hashes. Is there a way to add hashes and have
> john crack them first, until the progress catches up with the other hashes?

No. While a cool feature, it would be complicated to achieve.

You could do it yourself of course, something like this:
1. You run the first session using a name, eg. "-session=main".
2. Then you pause that job because you got new hashes. Put them in a new
file and start a new session just like the first one but with a
different (or default) session name, and *only* the new hashes. Run it
until you're at the same progress, in percent (rounding up so it might
overshoot rather than miss some).
3. Now stop that new session - we have catched up. Add the new hashes to
the original hash-file and resume the first session.

This requires a usable percent value though. If it's 0.00% or not even
showing, it's a bit harder.

magnum