Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 00:43:16 -0500
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@...-consult.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Need a little help cracking one password

I wish to crack a root password from one of my servers.  For practical
reasons, I cannot reboot the system in single user mode and change the
password.  I have done this times past for other servers.

It just so happens that I used the same password on another server, and
created a passwd file with the one entry.  I am running the John that
comes with Fedora 22, the docs cay it is 1.10 2013/05/29.

John has been crunching away for 20 days on a Lenovo x120e notebook
without finding the password.  Well I know a few things about this
password and I would like to instruct John o be selective on what it
tries.  But I am a bit of a hack and need so hand-holding on how to
alter /etc/john.conf (or make another) that will target the password.

I know the password is 10 characters long.

I know that the first position is either 'x' or 'X'.
The second is a digit, as is the third.
The forth is alpha, and I don't know the case.
The fifth is either 'q' or 'Q'
and soforth (either digit, some alpha, or a specific alpha of either case)

How do I set up what amounts to a mask on possible passwords to try?

thank you for your assistance.