Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 07:38:21 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Incorrect charset file format - is there a way to
 upgrade these?

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 3:45 AM, Brandon E <brandonpoc@...il.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I believe I am attempting to use an old charset (.chr) file with the latest
> JtR (jumbo / communitty edition). When trying to use KoreLogic's
> "rockyou.chr" character set file, available at their website (rockyou.chr
> <https://www.korelogic.com/Resources/Tools/rockyou.chr>), I get the
> following error:
>
> Incorrect charset file format: $JOHN/rockyou.chr
>
> Looking at the CHR file, I notice that the header contains "CHR2S";
> however, the other .chr files in the JtR directory have "CHR3" in the
> header.
>
> If this character set file is indeed old, is there a way to either
> convert/upgrade the rockyou.chr character set file, or some option to use
> old char set file formats?
You can generate your own, the recent jtr charset's are arguably
"better" than any previous versions, not only in passwords tried, but
in length tried as well. The older charsets were limited to 8 char's,
jtr source can be edited and compiled to use longer ones I believe was
the case. To generate your own rockyou charset:

sed 's/^/:/' < rockyou.txt  >rockyou.pot (use sed to artificially
create a pot file - add a leading colon to each line)
john.exe -pot=rockyou.pot -make-charset=rockyou.chr

You can apply a filter, present in john.conf (or john.local.conf) that
restricts the candidates to something like Alpha only, Digits only or
perhaps those that match a Password Policy! There are external modes
that already do Policy based filtering, I am not sure a .chr file is
best for that.

john.exe -pot=rockyou.pot -make-charset=rockyou.chr -ext=filter_lanman
-rich