Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 16:06:51 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John does not fork as many times as I want

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 04:00:30PM +0100, matlink wrote:
> Le 04/11/2016 ? 15:56, Solar Designer a ?crit :
> > Sure, "--restore" continues from where the session was interrupted, not
> > re-testing the previously tested candidate passwords.
> >
> > Without that option, you have JtR re-test the same candidate passwords.
> >
> > The pot file eliminates previously cracked hashes in either case.
>
> Well, I was not using the --restore option, but always the --session
> with --pot and in fact, when john starts it says "Remaining 25185227
> password hashes with no different salts" which is less than when
> previously ran. I guess --restore is equal to running john with the same
> parameters as before. That was my question.

Your guess is wrong.  "--restore" is more than that, and it is usually
much more efficient than starting over with the same parameters.

However, since you were getting forked processes not started or killed,
you did in fact have to start over not to miss any weak passwords.

"Remaining 25185227 password hashes" is low enough that you should be
able to run 40 processes now, if you skip the "single crack" mode as I
suggested.

Alexander