Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:35:04 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Error: wordlist contains NULL bytes - aborting

On 9/14/2016 9:11 AM, patpro@...pro.net wrote:
> Thank you for the tip. My question is a little bit wider though: is
> there any way for john to handle passwords with null character? Are
> those password just artifacts (from a hacking attempt for example), or
> could they be legitimate?
They are proper for the hashes listed.  I put \x40\x00\x64\x6f\x62\x32
into a file and ran sha1 sum over it, and this is the result:

$ sha1sum in1
d2fe19d3d33ab25c335e870328faa2306a92c65b *in1

which matches the string in your input data. So that string with the
null byte is 100% correct for that hash.  John does not handle null
bytes in input words at all, and probably never will.