Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:10:30 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Error: wordlist contains NULL bytes - aborting

On 9/14/2016 2:37 PM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> Hi Marek,
>
> Am 14.09.2016 um 21:32 schrieb Marek Wrzosek:
>> If the problem is storing those passwords in pot file, maybe
>> percent-encoding (like in URLs) would do the trick. It should be
>> backward compatible - the old pot file will work with new john, but not
>> the other way around.
>
> "cracking" SHA1 hashes of random garbage bytes are hardly a use case
> john should support, IMHO.

If you actually convert the data presented (the found passwords), they
actually appear to
be real world data. The majority are ISO8859-1 and there are some utf-8
mixed in. Yes
there are some obscure data (some < 0x20 escape chars, such as the \xd
\xa and \x0 stuff).
But all in all, if you look at the overall data found, I would think it
looks like passwords.

> Is there any system which really accepts random bytes including line
> feeds and null bytes in passwords?
> How do you enter such passwords as a user? And even if you can, should
> you ever do this?

Who knows.  John has limitations, due to design. It is a C program, runs
in ASCII mode
(mostly).  Stored 'text' files.  So we have certain things that are
magic and harder to
deal with. Those things are things like the \n \r and \0 type data. Yes,
we 'could' handle
this (in fact ALL of this). But about the only way short of a blind mask
mode, is to keep
all data in a hex mode (including forcing wordlists to be converted INTO
hex mode)
to hide the \0 \r \n characters.   This is NOT something that will be
done for john.

So take it for what it can do.