Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 08:45:14 +0200
From: Patrick Proniewski <patpro@...pro.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: possible memory leak on FreeBSD?

On 08 sept. 2016, at 20:03, magnum wrote:

> On 2016-09-08 08:42, patpro@...pro.net wrote:

>> I know nothing about debugging and memory leak tracking. Any clue appreciated.
>
> What format are you seeing this with? We aren't aware of any memory leaks right now, but maybe it's some fairly recent bug you are seeing (if the problem is with JtR at all). We have a very good way to diagnose it though, the "memdbg" debug option to ./configure.

I'm experiencing this issue with two different dumps of SHA1 hashes, but I've never handled so much hashes at the same time before. May be it's not related to hash type.

> eg.
>
> $ ./configure --enable-memdbg && make -s clean && make -sj4
>
> ../..
> But PLEASE NOTE that I just now, 10 minutes ago, committed a bug fix for memdbg: Prior to that fix, you'd only get diagnostics if the session ended because all hashes were cracked OR the mode exhausted. After the fix, you'll also get diagnostic if aborting (ctrl-c or 'q') or if --max-run-time=SECS was used and timer ran out. Thank you for making me discover that bug ;-)

:)

I'll try the latest bleeding jumbo with --enable-memdbg as soon as possible (in the next few day probably) and keep you updated with the result.
Thanks!

patpro