Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 21:57:42 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to crack keepass2 passcode with .key file, and
 knowing part of password

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:07 PM, RoundDuck Man <roundduckman2@...il.com> wrote:
> I don't know how to crack it like that, I don't want to take a millennia
> with the standard settings, so I'd like an example or help on how to do
> this. Is there a way to get John to know part of the password, and guess on
> the remaining bits, because I know part of my password, just not all of it.
There are several methods to do this,
mask mode
john passes.txt -mask=password?d?d
That will use the word "password" and add 00-99 to the end of the word
"password", do the opposite to add digits to the front "?d?dpassword"
See the MASK file in the doc's folder to see more examples.

wordlist mode
john passes.txt -w=words.txt -rules=all
That will use every word listed in words.txt and run every rule john
has built-in.
See the RULES file in the doc's folder.

known force (external) mode
john passes.txt -external=knownforce
Knownforce is found in john.conf and you'd have to configure it to the
part of the password you do know.
I believe this may be the slowest method, but can do the job.

Most of the suggestions if not all of them, require the latest version
of John, found on GitHub.
-rich