Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 10:59:50 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: how to use John to create more complex passwords

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Liyan Cao <lcao@...ollege.com> wrote:
> Hi, Rich,
> Thank you!
> I got below error. I'm using "John the Ripper 1.8.0 (sources, tar.xz, 4.3 MB)". Any suggestions?
>
> $ ./john -w=mypasswd.lst -rules=single -stdout
> Extra parameter for option: "-rules=single"

You will want to download and compile the latest version of John, the
Jumbo version on Github
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/
If you know hot to use git too: git clone
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/
cd into the src directory and use ./configure && make clean && make

There are also some premade and user contributed versions you may want
to try that are more modern than 1.8.0, but none as updated as the GIT
repo.
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/custom-builds
-rich