Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:22:17 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How long should I let JtR munch?

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 10:56:47AM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I presumed that if I did something stupid in my attempts
> to "improve" on XKCD936, this might catch them. I don't expect it to be an
> exhaustive test, more of a regression test (or more-than-minimal smoke
> test).

That's right.

Unfortunately, JtR's only builtin passphrase-targeting mode is PRINCE,
and it might not be exactly what you need.  An attacker knowing how you
derived your passphrases would do better than that.  Yet for now please
feel free to experiment with whatever cracking modes we readily have.

Also, I hope you're aware the XKCD was by far not the first time the use
of (generated) passphrases was proposed.  For example, there was
Diceware (1995?), and our passwdqc included a passphrase generator right