Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 02:10:18 -0700
From: <writeonce@...ipix.org>
To: "Solar Designer" <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RE: JtR homepage update; Windows builds

> On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 05:47:57PM -0700, writeonce@...ipix.org wrote:
> > As part of alpha release preparation we've added JtR to midipix_build.sh
> > for inclusion in the release tarball.
>
> Thanks. Does this mean it will download and build JtR 1.8.0, or do you
> intend to include prebuilt binaries in the tarball (the "distro", like
> Cygwin has)?

The "distro" tarball will include various useful utilities (bash, gcc,
git, etc.) with jtr among them. In addition, I thought it would be nice
to have a separate, signed .zip/.tar.gz archive, with stand-alone
binaries that could be used even if you don't have any of relevant
environments (midipix/cygwin/msys) installed. Since the toolchain
supports static linking and does not have any desktop-global state, this
means john.exe [along with doc/run/config] plus two more files, namely
ntctty (a pty [user-space] server) and ptycon (a pty-to-console bridge).
If walking the extra mile, we could also add a one-liner john.[bat|cmd]
in the form of > ntctty.exe --exec ptycon --exec john.exe ...

> > todo items:
> >
> > 1. signed .zip and .tar.gz of a statically linked john plus ntctty plus
> > ptycon, allowing users to run jtr in either a pty-based (midipix) or a
> > pipe-based (cygwin,msys) terminal, as well as inside of the native
> > console window (possibly invoked from within cmd.exe or powershell).
> >
> > 2. [cross-]build jumbo.
> >
> > Item (1) is mostly a technicality, awaiting midipix alpha release. Item
> > (2) will probably require some extra work (iirc. last time I checked the
> > jumbo configure script tried running test programs even in
> > cross-compilation mode).
>
> Yes, jumbo is likely much harder to get working, but it is also more
> important for the community, given how much more functionality jumbo
> provides. Luckily, it already has its x86-64.S made Win64-aware, so at
> least you shouldn't run into that problem there.
>
> Also, since performance matters a lot for JtR, it is important to link
> it against musl and OpenSSL built with compiler optimizations enabled.
> (You said you use -O0 for libraries for now.)

Absolutely, using here -O0 for debug purposes, release binaries will be
all built with optimization enabled.

PS. taking another shot at jumbo, this time natively:-)