Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 16:26:56 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: writeonce@...ipix.org
Subject: Re: JtR homepage update; Windows builds

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 01:00:43PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 02:27:58PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:41 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > > Latest development build for Windows, updated automatically (ZIP)
> > >
> > > pointing to:
> > >
> > > http://daily-builds.appspot.com/latest
> >
> > The code behind this site is at https://github.com/kholia/daily-builds URL.
> >
> > > Since I wasn't involved in the setup of the latter, I'd like to know who
> > > was (magnum?) and how/where the builds are done.  I notice they're with
> > > MinGW rather than Cygwin - do we consider this reliable, complete enough,
> > > and recommended for use?  I guess it doesn't include OpenCL support,
> > > does it?  What about OpenMP and "--fork"?  Other features?
> >
> > The builds are done on infrastructure provided by
> > https://circleci.com/ and the CircleCI configuration resides in
> > "circle.yml" file in the JtR jumbo repository.
> >
> > See https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1378 for more
> > details about the setup.
>
> Thanks.  Is it possible to do Cygwin builds using that infrastructure?

Per that GitHub issue, I understand that the problem is those builds are
done in a Linux container, and Cygwin doesn't support that.  MinGW does.
As a maybe-better alternative to MinGW, I hope we'll get JtR buildable
and fully functional with midipix:

http://midipix.org

> > OpenMP is supported in these builds. However, the builds are not 100%
> > reliable. I just found out that the builds do not run on Windows 10
> > at all.
>
> > I don't think that anyone is actively working on fixing these issues.
> > So these builds should not be considered fit for users yet.
>
> OK.  I've just removed the link from JtR homepage.

Meanwhile, the latest semi-official build of jumbo was of 1.7.9-jumbo-5,
which is ancient.  I've just replaced it (on the website) with a build
of 1.8.0-jumbo-1 that I happened to have made in December 2014, but
never released (since I wanted to make a cleaner build, but never got
around to it).  It's also very old by now, indeed.

Before ZIP'ing it up, I ran:

peflags --dynamicbase=true --nxcompat=true *.exe

in the "run" directory.  If there are no problem reports from this, we
should make it default settings for our Windows builds.  I previously
brought this up here:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2012/12/09/24

Per my reading of what others were saying at the time, I thought that
ASLR breaks Cygwin:

However, I observed no ill effects in my quick testing of binaries with
the above peflags applied to them.

Another thing I do for (semi-)official Windows builds of JtR is convert
text files to DOS linefeeds and add .txt suffixes (with a script) except
to files that had a .txt suffix already or were outside of doc/.  This
time, I did it for doc/* and run/*.conf and run/password.lst.  I used to
also rename john.conf to john.ini (JtR itself checks for both
filenames), but this time I did not because we got many other *.conf
files included from the main john.conf now, and it would be inconsistent
to rename just the top file, and it would be too much of a change to
patch all the .include directives.

These text file conversions and renames were not included in unofficial
builds by JtR users.

I'd appreciate comments on how the community would like this handled for
Windows builds going forward, especially if we automate them.  Such as:
is it desirable that text files be converted to DOS linefeeds?  Which
text files should this apply to?  Besides those I mentioned, there are
also many Perl and Python scripts under run/ - I did not convert them
now, but maybe we should be doing that as well?

Alexander