Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 14:45:29 +0200
From: Albert Veli <albert.veli@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSL headers and JTR compile on MAC

I can verify that the brew.sh method works.

Remember to use brew link openssl --force. I missed that first. It doesn't
work without the link command. The brew help text says:

Generally there are no consequences of this for you. If you build your
own software and it requires this formula, you'll need to add to your
build variables:

  LDFLAGS:  -L/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib
  CPPFLAGS: -I/usr/local/opt/openssl/include

These can be added to the john Makefile (around line 53 and line 60)
instead of forcing the link. An alternative would be to add openssl-libs
and openssl-cflags options to configure. I have seen some other packages
with these configure options.