Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:18:01 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: need to find salt

On 7/21/2016 8:54 AM, Joe Konecny wrote:

> Will john find work to find the entire hashed string with the salt
> (eventually)?
>
> So if the salt was unknown as I said but maybe the string that was
> hashed was
> "a1434b"...  would it eventually find "a1434b" or would it never find it
> because I didn't specify md5($s.$p.$s)?

About the only way to 'find' this, is to generate all the salts
yourself, and simply use md5-raw.

NOTE, I used the 'wrong' base-word. I saw 1234 and not 1434.  So simply
create a 'tool' that will generate salted words

a1434
b1434
c1434
aa1434
ab1434
ac1434

and run those into john against md5-raw, looking for a match.  This can
also be done with mask, such as:

./john -mask='[ -`][ -`][ -`][ -`][ -`]$0' in1 -form=raw-md5

Note, the above only tests 0x20 to 0x7f (i.e. printable ascii), and 5
characters of salt.  But mask mode can do more, and it can be run
multiple times to test different length salts.

Again, good luck. If you knew the salt 'layout', then you would know the
amount of work will have to put out to find this salt.

NOTE, john does have a 'regenerate-salt' mode, but it is only for
certain 'types', where we know they have a small(ish) salt (like OS
commerce that has only 100 salts, or older PHPS that has 857k salts).
The regen-salt mode simply builds all possible salts, and then runs each
password against all salts, looking for matches. This is to find 'dirty'
items like you have (where the hash but no salt was kept).  But finding
an unknown sized salt in an unknown location is NOT a simple task.