Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 12:04:02 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Status of session when using -pipe and -stdin

On 5/7/2016 11:12 AM, Matt Weir wrote:
> I frequently run other scipts and feed the input into John using the -pipe
> or -stdin options. If I want to get the status of the cracking session
> normally I just run in another terminal
>
> ./john -status -session=blah
>
> What I was wondering was if there was a way to have the script i'm running
> send JtR a special value to have the running session of JtR print out a
> status output.
>
> Aka if I'm running
>
> ./myscript.sh | ./john -stdin -format=raw-md5 password_list.txt
>
> and I hit <enter>, the output would be
>
> <Output from myscript.sh>
> <Status output from JtR>
>
> That way anyone else using myscript.sh could get status output from both
> programs without having to open up another terminal.

The only way I see of doing this, is to get that signal that you want
the status in your script (catch the <enter>) and then do a kill
-SIGUSR1 to the pid of john.  John does not have connection to a tty in
this case (when it is a filter), so it is not able to monitor keystrokes
like it does when simply launched from the shell.  Since your script is
the owner of the tty, then it will have to take over duties of that, and
relay them to the john instance (such as using the kill command to send
it a signal).

Others may think of a more elegant solution, but that is about all I can
see right off.

--
Community volunteer for John the Ripper project.

---