Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 23:00:34 -0800
From: Dan Tentler <dan@...nlabs.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: openmpi/opencl best practices

Hey Folks,

 Some of you may remember a thread I started back last October or so - I
lost a passsword for a .dmg image and I've been messing around trying to
crack it ever since. I finally got jtr compiled with opencl (thanks
Solar!) and I now have one running copy on ec2 and one running copy on a
laptop with a decent card in it. At this point I'd like to start
combining all of the machines I have with video cards to try and attack
this hash, and I have a few questions:

1) last time I tried this, it was an endeavor in getting mpich setup,
using mpirun and all that - is that still the same, or does jtr now have
some sort of built-in functionality to do distribution? is there a
best-practice here?

2) can you distribute between different cards/technologies? i.e. some
hosts with just cpu, some hosts with nvidia and other hosts with amd
cards? or does everything have to be completely uniform?

3) is there windows support for cuda/opencl yet? It would be amazing to
have a cracking pool that's cross platform.

Thanks in advance!

-Dan