Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 22:01:14 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking zip files

In addition to Solar's reply...

On 02/20/2016 09:39 PM, Alex wrote:
>> ./configure && make -sj4

BTW: Usually, I do a make clean (as suggested by configure) before the make.
In many cases it is not necessary, but if you play with different
configure options, it might be better.

> I noticed this doesn't include OpenMP support automatically.
[...]
> OpenMP support ............................. yes (not for fast formats)

Default is to enable OpenMP, except for fast formats, which is what you
got here.
Fast formats don't benefit from OpenMP as much as expected, even if you
enforce OpenMP support for them.
So, for fast formats (those which don't have the "(8xOMP)" or similar
text written in their --test output), you should use --fork=N (where N
is the number of logical cores you have) instead.

You can enable OpenMP even for fast formats, if you use
./configure --enable-openmp-for-fast-formats

See
./configure --help
output for more options.

Frank