Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 18:36:29 +0100
From: Patrick Proniewski <patpro@...pro.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: sending john's log to syslogd?

Hi,

On 19 févr. 2016, at 17:49, Marc Brinkmann wrote:

> i use to run logger "my text" in order to get the text to syslog.
> I currently have no linux here, so i cannot test, but i thing piping the
> results to logger should do it.

Various solutions exist implying manual intervention (logger, logtail, may be even unusual things like mkfifo/named pipes…). I'm not looking for a solution that would need me to think about it before starting a session, and that would make me angry because I think about it after starting the session :).
Furthermore I'm using --session=foobar with foobar being an note about what I'm doing (like "dump-name_worldlist-name_ruleset_..."), hence the log file name is not predictable nor known before I start the session.

Alternatively I could tune my local Splunk instance to monitor /path/to/jtr/run*/*.log files and index them. No big deal, but would require a known path for the "run" directory, and the design of a parsing pattern.
Purpose of all this is to provide me with a "query-able" tool to help me optimize cracking session (effectiveness of given wordlist in time, when should I change worldlists or options, etc.).

pat