Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 22:03:12 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MPI with Spot Instances?

On 2016-01-27 17:25, japhar81 wrote:
> I've been playing around with MPI clustering JtR for a while, and I've
> managed to get it running smoothly on static nodes. What I'd like to do
> next is create an auto-scaling group in AWS, using spot instances. What
> this basically means is nodes will come and go, with their hostnames/IPs
> changing at random.. I can not figure out how I would run JtR in that
> instance -- since it requires a node list in a file on startup to mpirun.
>
> If it matters, I'm looking to do a brute-force using the ASCII mode. Has
> anyone found a way to do a dynamic cluster that adds/removes nodes at
> random? Is this even possible?

I'm not aware of any existing work that would do this. A solution using
JtR as-is, but with some yet-to-be-implemented master issuing jobs,
could involve looking at the existing "-node=x/y" as describing "pieces"
instead of "nodes". So instead of saying -node=2/8 as in "you are node 2
of 8" you'd say -node=4321/100000 as in "do piece 4321 of 100000". Then
you'd submit pieces to active nodes. Obviously you'd have to handle
dying nodes that never reported back their given piece, and re-issue
those pieces.

magnum