Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 09:26:51 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: get more info about what yield to crack a particular
 pwd

On 01/08/2016 09:01 AM, magnum wrote:
> In order to avoid gigabyte logfiles unless wanted, the default verbosity
> for rules has been decreased in bleeding-jumbo. You now need to use
> --verbosity=4 (or higher) to see what rule is in use. Then Frank's
> explanation of keys per batch applies: Sometimes several rules are in
> use at once and you can't always know for sure which of the them created
> the candidate.

Oh, right.
I forgot about that, because I have the following in my john-local.conf:

[Local:Options]
# Overwrite some of the default values in john.conf's
# [Options] section
# With default verbosity, bleeding-jumbo doesn't log rules and
# incremental mode length/char. position / count anymore.
Verbosity = 4

But that has other side effects (undesired stderr output...).

That's why I think there needs to be a way to "restore" master's behavior.
I think bumping max. verbosity to at least 6, using verbosity 4 just for
rule / incremental mode level logging, and adjusting all other verbosity
 > 3 checks accordingly is the the best solution.

Frank