Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 07:34:04 +0100
From: Patrick Proniewski <patpro@...pro.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: using --fork for the first time

Hello,

I've managed to compile 1.8.0-jumbo (bleeding, from 2 or 3 days ago) on my FreeBSD server, so I can now use the --fork option. It works ok so far:

$ ./john --fork=4 sup.ssha.20151205
Warning: only loading hashes of type "Salted-SHA1", but also saw type "Raw-SHA1"
Use the "--format=Raw-SHA1" option to force loading hashes of that type instead
Warning: only loading hashes of type "Salted-SHA1", but also saw type "Raw-SHA1-Linkedin"
Use the "--format=Raw-SHA1-Linkedin" option to force loading hashes of that type instead
Warning: only loading hashes of type "Salted-SHA1", but also saw type "Raw-SHA1-ng"
Use the "--format=Raw-SHA1-ng" option to force loading hashes of that type instead
Using default input encoding: UTF-8
Loaded 15151 password hashes with 15151 different salts (Salted-SHA1 [SHA1 128/128 AVX 4x])
Node numbers 1-4 of 4 (fork)

But when I look at the results, I find that I've got a lot of duplicates in john.pot:

$ wc -l john.pot
    1254 john.pot

$ sort -u john.pot | wc -l
     979

Is that to be expected? Digging into john.pot shows that most dupes are probably cracked during 'single'.

regards,
pat