Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 06:37:13 +0100
From: atom <atom@...hcat.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: hashcat CPU vs. JtR

Back then when I started with Hashcat it was already clear that CPU based
cracking was about to get outdated by GPU. But since I was new to both,
GPGPU and crypto, I had to learn alot at once. That's simply more easy by
writing code for CPU. I did that with Hashcat CPU. That was a time when
there was only SSE2, no AVX and no XOP. Back then, hashcat was by far
faster than any other CPU cracker. When I had the feeling that I understood
the basic hashing algorithms I instantly started to write GPGPU code and
stopped working on hashcat CPU completely, with the result that what you
see today as "hashcat" is almost 4 year old code. The only thing I've added
was the XOP code and some algorithms.

For me it's oclHashcat that counts and which I've refactored completely
about 5 times till I found the architecture of today. In theory, a pure CPU
integration into oclHashcat would be easy. Just add a new Platform, write
the basic macros and for each hash-mode write a function that uses the same
parameters as the OpenCL kernels do and simply copy/paste the OpenCL kernel
code. I did that once, just to find out if it would work, to end up with an
NTLM BF speed of over >900MH/s on my i7-4770K. Such a speed on CPU is far
from what you see in JtR or mdxfind and it will work for any other
algorithm supported with oclHashcat. The question for me was do I really
want to put that effort to build support for a cracker that runs 25 times
slower than a 250€ GPU? Unless you have an explicit anti-GPU algorithm they
all will run much faster on GPU. So this question actually ends up in a
discussion CPU vs. GPU which I really do not want to start here.

I just wanted to point out that all the code in oclHashcat, the bitmaps,
the rule-engine, the vliw (or SIMD) support, the optimizations inside the
algorithms and whatnot else, compared to hashcat CPU is a difference of 4
years and 4 refactorizations. I'm really wondering why you even started to
compare. Maybe you don't know, but many people mean oclHashcat when they
talk about hashcat, it's just an alias. That's why my long-term plan is to
add CPU support to oclHashcat, then obsolete hashcat and then rename
oclHashcat into hashcat.

--
atom