Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 22:09:50 -0900
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: password cracking as a subset of hash searching

In this blog post:

http://roycebits.blogspot.com/2015/10/hash-filtering-more-than-vanity.html

... I argue that password cracking frameworks should start to
incorporate searching for partial matches of hashes -- vanity hashes,
partial collisions, hashes that mask specific masks, etc.

In other words, I see password cracking (searching for hashes that
exactly match known hashes) as part of a larger class of activities
(searching for hashes with specific properties), and see potential for
cross-pollination with related work that would ultimately benefit the
project.  I point out some recent examples in the post.

As magnum correctly points out in the comments, this isn't as simple
as I would like. :)  It would certainly mean maintaining code paths
that branch off pretty early from JtR's main mission.  But in the
post, I argue that a simple framework in a different code path -- to
which interested parties could contribute code -- would be far more
efficient than watching multiple projects poorly reimplement things
that JtR already does well (parallel processing, forking, mask
parsing, etc.)

It's all theory for me, as I am not a developer.  But I think that it
is fertile ground for future work.

Royce