Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 22:29:58 +0000
From: Demian Smith <demian.smith@....de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Fork vs / w/ OpenMP

Hi list,

I m working (still) on a truecrypt situation and someone mentioned in
this list I should rather use --fork as opposed to OpenMP with 2 cores
each.

I did read to documentation on fork, but being an non-native speaker, I
can't wrap my head around it, really.

So I have two potential pw hashes, either it was 1:SHA512 or 2:RIPEMD160

I am "working" on a regular laptop, no fancy GPU stuff, and ideally I'd
like to have both hashes with similar speed. The computer itself has 4
processors, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz

How would I get the biggest "bang for my buck", if I want to work with
incremental, custom chr and ideally external mode (I might have added
two numbers to the password at a specific place and known digits)?

Or would I be best of with running twice plain old
alias john2='OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 ~/.bin/JohnTheRipper/run/john
one time for each hash type?

Sorry for the confusion on my side and thanks in advance,
Demian