Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 17:24:55 +0200 (CEST)
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: encrypted PEM file cracking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015, Solar Designer wrote:

> https://github.com/bwall/pemcracker
>
> I've just tested, and bleeding-jumbo's ssh2john along with john crack
> the test.pem file included with pemcracker just fine.
>
> As to speeds, JtR's SSH format runs (at least on this test.pem) much
> faster for me with --fork=32 (on 32 logical CPUs) than with OpenMP,
> giving about 3500 c/s cumulative speed for fork vs. 955 c/s for OpenMP:

> (Perhaps many times higher speeds are possible with custom code instead
> of using OpenSSL's.)

Hi!

I am writing a new JtR format using custom code to crack such PEM files.

On our "bull" system (with AMD FX-8120 processor), I get a combined
speed of around 14000 c/s when attacking the test.pem file.

The code is pretty experimental at the moment,

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/pull/1848

Dhiru