Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 11:32:23 -0500
From: jfoug <jfoug@...nwall.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Azure AD password sync, and needing PBKDF2 in
 dynamic modes

The failing ST is a known issue.  The expression parser I used was what
I built for pass_gen.pl.  Recursive decent, and works flawlessly with an
unlimited stack.  Simply push on vars, then when you recurse to a
function, pop 2 vars, perform the op, and push results back on.

But trying to take that and meld it properly and efficiently into the
dyna model was not trivial, and when the expression grows too complex
(2nd or 3 'real' function), then the code gets confused about what is
used or not in the 2 'registers' of dynamic, and results are wrong.
However, the ST fails, so the format will simply not waste your time
running for incorrect results.

I have thought about PBKDF2 addition.  It will not be part of dyna, but
a bolt on module.  It is something really needed, and not there now.  It
would also change the expression parser, but not past what could be
handled, and I do think the ROI is good for this addition.

Winter is coming, so I will have to put the bikes in the garage on
stands, so I may have a bit more time for other activities, lol.  I do
want to put more bells and whistles into this part of dynamic. It's
usable today, it just is not mature and fully robust yet.

--
Community volunteer for John the Ripper project.