Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 23:31:11 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Order of rule and mask mode combined

On 28/09/15 23:05, Luis Rocha wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, when combining rule and mask mode, is my
> understanding that the rule happens before the masking.
>
> Is there any hidden setting/possibility to change this order?

No, but there are workarounds possible, see below.

> For example running with the following command options --mask=?w?1?1
> -1=?l?d?s --rules:append_utf the appending happens first and then the
> masking is added.
>
> Would the opposite be possible?

Definitely possible but since mask mode is the only mode that gets
"accelerated" on GPU, it would be an awful waste of performance because
that would need to be disabled. Some day we might (should) have rules on
GPU, but I'm not aware on anyone planning to do it.

This works fine though (but will not use GPU-side mask):

./john -stdout -w -mask=?w?1?1 -1=?l?d?s -ses:1 | ./john hashfile -pipe
-rules:append_utf -ses:2

Similary, you can apply rules x rules:

./john -stdout -w -rules:first_set -ses:1 | ./john hashfile -pipe
-rules:second_set -ses:2

...and of course all sorts of variations on it.

magnum