Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 23:29:42 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PRINCE-elem-cnt-max

Some more bits about encodings:

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 04:39:44PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> Incremental mode (with your own charset file) will find many new cracks.
> At the beginning of running incremental mode, there shouldn't be many
> problems with illegal unicode characters (because incremental mode will
> still have enough information about trigraph frequency...).

> Of course, when using incremental mode or markov mode, you should set
> DefaultInternalEncoding = UTF-8
> in the [Local:Options] section of your john-local.conf file.

There is a filter to reject candidates with illegal utf-8 in newest
john:

# Reject words that are illegal UTF-8
# We obviously let pure ASCII through too
[List.External:Filter_UTF8]

The filter may be combined with incremental mode:

$ john --incremental=... --external=Filter_UTF8 ...

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov