Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:11:28 +0200
From: François <francois.pesce@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Anyone looked at the Ashley Madison data yet?

Thanks for this tip. I'll try it.

Sorry for the abusive password post, the goal was to provide a various
sample of how easy/complex passwords can be found using a
re-constructed gecos and the -single mode of john:

If it wasn't for the horribly slow cost 12 of bcrypt, that leak would
be an amazing source of analysis for password forging, as it contains
birthdates (where at least the year seems to be reliable), and
country/city too.

I think if I've some time this week-end, I'll try to curate the huge
pseudo-gecos file I have built to remove admin/bot account and
non-active/engaged users (no picture, single-day login/last-activity,
not-verified mail, etc.) and to focus on accounts where we can
reliably trust user-submitted information to try to forge a "smart"
cracking dictionary per-user (with mixed default passwords/single
rules applied to user account).

Francois Pesce