Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 15:08:54 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Titan X vs R290x

On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 02:10:35PM +0200, Luis Rocha wrote:
> Does anyone know how faster would be a Titan X vs a R9 290x using JtR?

We haven't done as much testing/optimization on NVIDIA Maxwell as we did
on AMD GCN.  So it is possible that Maxwell's advantage will be lower or
non-existent or even negative for some JtR formats initially.

As an alternative to Titan X, you might want to consider 980 Ti.  It's
over 90% of performance for 70% of price (but when you also consider the
cost of the entire computer, 980 Ti's advantage isn't so obvious; and
Titan X's 12 GB might be handy for some obscure/future uses).

We should probably add a Titan X to the HPC Village machine and see for
ourselves.

Alexander