Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 00:36:51 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re:  Re: restore difficult zip password

On 2015-07-17 23:51, rysic wrote:
> You are right, --node is well defined, but I can't find in
> documentation how NFS share can benefit?

It's not documented a lot but for example, Jumbo has a feature called
"pot sync". If one process cracks a hash, the other processes will see
that and stop wasting time on it. In case of salts (especially unique
ones) this is a major benefit: When half the salts are cracked, speed
will be twice as fast.

> In configuration file there are few Incremental sections (if I
> understand well by default john is using all of them), but is john
> mixing this charlists? I mean if I have few charlists - LATIN,
> UpperNum, custom then he is making one big list of chars and is using
> it for brute force? And Min/MaxLen in this sections mean that maximum
> x characters will be taken from charlist, but if I have this:
>
> [Incremental:ASCII]
> File = $JOHN/ascii.chr
> MinLen = 0
> MaxLen = 13
> CharCount = 95
>
> [Incremental:LM_ASCII]
> File = $JOHN/lm_ascii.chr
> MinLen = 0
> MaxLen = 7
> CharCount = 69
>

> then it means tha john will try first combinatios of 0-13 characters
> from ASCII and then he will try 0-7 combinations from LM_ASCII? If
> yes, then if I have password combined of chars from two charlists
> then john will not find it? Am I right?

No, only one section is used. For LM hashes and a few others, the
LM_ASCII section is used. For other formats, the ASCII one is used. This
can be tweaked in john.conf, including using the UTF8 section when
applicable.

You can force use of whatever section you want using eg. -inc=utf8 or
-inc=custom (if you built a custom.chr file). Try it out using -stdout
and watch the difference.

magnum