Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 20:33:53 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: restore difficult zip password

On 2015-07-17 15:24, rysic wrote:
> So, I started thinking about some cluster sollution but MPI is not
> working so good for me... :-/ Some hosts in cluster are working and
> some not.
>
> But i red here http://openwall.info/wiki/john/parallelization tis:
> "multiple instances of JtR can be run from within the same directory,
> sharing the same john.conf, john.pot, and other files just fine -
> this is a feature. "
>
> Soes this mean that I can install John The Ripper (1.8) in many
> computers, share some directory, put there .pot .zip .hash file and
> start all of them to work? And they will share this .pot file and
> work quite symilar to cluster?

They will not distribute work automatically, no. That phrase just means
john will ensure file locking etc. and the Jumbo "pot sync" feature will
drop salts that were cracked with an other process.

You should fix your MPI. When running MPI, using a shared (eg. NFS)
working directory is required for good results. Other than that,
installation/build is trivial.

Without MPI, you can do the same distrbution manually using "-node=x/y"
option. If you have, say, 7 nodes you will start the crack on node 1 as
"-node=1/7" and on node 2 as "-node=2/7" and so on. This works with all
cracking modes (except regex I think, that one is experimental).

magnum