Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 14:55:01 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny-RFC] Which Qt min version to require ?

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure which version of Qt to attempt building with though. Qt 5
> looks like a bad option for 10.5.
>
> ---
> Qt 5.4 Official platforms:
>
> OS X 10.10      clang-600.0.54  CI Tested
> OS X 10.9       clang-600.0.54  CI Tested
> OS X 10.8       clang-600.0.54
> OS X 10.7       i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2        CI Tested
>
> http://doc.qt.io/QtSupportedPlatforms/index.html
>
> Community:
>
> OS X 10.7 "Lion" and 10.8 "Mountain Lion" are considered reference
> configurations, meaning they are tested by a continuous integration (CI)
> system. Qt 5 applications may be deployed to Mac OS X versions 10.6 "Snow
> Leopard", but support is limited.
>
> Note: Qt 5 does not support OS X on PowerPC.
>
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/osx.html

Now, I got a working 10.5.5 Leopard VM. I guess making the released
build(.dmg) with latest qt has the pros that a lot of qt bugs will be fixed
for us but has the cons that you said regarding 10.5. I guess the amount of
bug to take into consideration is smaller since we are using a lot of old
modules, not new modules, QML or mobile stuff. Should we offer two
different builds .dmg : one built with  qt 4 recommended for old version
and one done with qt 5 for new versions ? It's hard to tell, even though
support is limited, maybe there is still less bug in qt 5 on old systems,
than on qt 4. Qt 5 is probably not tested on old windows versions(and also
some distros if we decide to make prepackaged binary), should we do the
same ?