Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 21:00:24 +0200
From: Luis Rocha <luiscrocha@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Multiple GPU and Fork

> ... but you probably didn't have DISPLAY nor XAUTHORITY set to talk to
> your X server from that root shell.  (Maybe your bad habit of running
> john as root has finally backfired.)  You should be running john from a
> user account and environment authorized to talk to your X server.  As a
> test, try running "xterm &" from the shell that you use to start john -
> will it start, will it appear on your desktop?  If so, exit the xterm
> and then start john.  If not, correct this first.

I did try from a non-priv account "xterm &" and a it appeared on my
desktop. I started JtR from there but same behavior. I exited and started
JtR and the same behavior.
I also have the DISPLAY variable and allowed X access with "xhost +"

$ cat .bashrc | grep DISPLAY
export DISPLAY=:0

$ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

Then I logged off and connected back using ssh and executed:

$ sudo ./john 3-base.md5crypt.pw --format=md5crypt-opencl --dev=0,1 --fork=2
[sudo] password for user:
initUnicode(UNICODE, ASCII/ASCII)
ASCII -> ASCII -> ASCII
Loaded 1726 password hashes with 1726 different salts (md5crypt-opencl,
crypt(3) $1$ [MD5 OpenCL])
Node numbers 1-2 of 2 (fork)
Device id 0 not working correctly, skipping.
Device id 1 not working correctly, skipping.
No OpenCL devices found
Device 0: Hawaii [AMD Radeon R9 200 Series]
Calculating best global worksize (GWS); max. 500ms single kernel invocation.
Raw speed figures including buffer transfers:

Had to run  JtR with sudo because without sudo the opencl devices were not
listed .. maybe I have somehow a broken installation of drivers and so on
and so forth ...
I am going to reinstall the OS and follow this guide
https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto .. then if you
someone is willing to help me debug this FORK issue I am all for it.

On a different note, I got a Gygabyte R9 290x in case someone wants to
perform some tests I am available to run those.

Thank you for the help!
Luis